onsdag 10. september 2008

In the name of God

I'm not feeling so wonderful today. The ever so lovely diarrhea has finally caught up with me.
I've had a few nice days though. I made some friends in Hawler and they took it upon themselves to show C and I around Ainkawa.
I must say it's a very interesting part of Hawler. Very few people will speak Kurdish to you, but their Arabic is fluent. You see very few Kurdish flags, but the Iraqi one is very much present in every store and restaurant. One of my friends told me about bars and clubs in Ainkawa where muslims aren't allowed.
M, a friend who is a teacher in the most exclusive private schools here in Hawler told me that he is suprised at the christians in Ainkawa for not wanting to identify with Kurds and Kurdistan. He is a christian himself.
I told him that I knew very little about this and that's true.
Hawler all in all is a very interesting city. The religious symbols are very visible. The mosques impress me, as well as the beautiful churches. How long will this peace last? And is there really a religious coexistence here in Hawler or are we fooling ourselves. Can christians really live side by side with muslims and vica verca?
H

Ingen kommentarer: