søndag 26. oktober 2008

Invalid space for women

A contributon to H`s ------HARD TIMES

As I entered Cwar Cra Hotel in Hewler (Erbil), I couldn’t stop receiving a vibe of staring eyes towards my friend and I. Two unmarried girls, entering this Hotel, 8 pm local Kurdistani time, was an unknown phenomena for the staff and the other man guests in the lobby. Miss, do you want to eat? No, kaka, we are here just because of work. We are expecting someone to arrive. Those whom I was expecting informed me that because of some difficulties in Koye they would be approximately an hour late. The receptionist couldn’t stop staring, and somehow, I understood that he was putting a question mark on our appearance in the lobby. Why are these girls sitting here alone? Why are they not being accompanied by a male guest, or any other form of leading role? At the end, he couldn’t help himself any longer, he pointed at me, ordering me to approach the desk. Every single person in the lobby followed my steps towards him. What is going on?

To chi akai lera? What are you doing here? Why are you here? Who are you expecting? Who are you? ETC....

At the end of a long and difficult conversation, I asked him if he was finished with the investigation and if I would help him any further. No, thanks, go and sit. We know the owner of the Hotel, and we spoke with him. He was begging for forgiveness, and was deeply apologizing. As if it could ever heal my bleeding heart. Is he apologizing of behalf of most of the men sitting in the lobby staring at us too? Is he apologizing on behalf of most of the staff? Is he apologizing on behalf of the way we (some of us- not to generalize) bring up our children to believe that the fittest space for women to act in is the private one?

Invalid space for independent women who are trying to work (and not the kind of work he was aiming at), but an honest job for the contribution and the purpose of developing Kurdistan. I am just glad that one of the staff members at the Hotel came to us after this receptionist had this very nerve breaking investigation with me. Why do you girls look so sad? Because of that mister in the desk. Miss, I saw what he did. He had no right to. He did not ask any of the other guests why they were there. It is not his right to ask about such things. You should complain to the owner, it is your right. ...........

I remember from previous contributions that I put empasis on the importance of breaking cultural codes or at least pushing some of the limits, so people can get used to other point of views. In this moment, it just seemd useless. The other staff memeber was the light in my darknes.. I thank ypu!

Invalid C...

1 kommentar:

DonSaeid sa...

.....

Men from middeleast are really bunch of ******!!! hehe excluding me ofcourse :P

but really i dont get why do they need the urge to push down over 50% of population!!!